- V20 Group and the IDF call for joint collaboration and international support to strengthen global physical climate risk management capabilities
- Insurance Europe replies to IASB on its upcoming workplan
- IUA Chairman addresses Annual Meeting
- IUA elects new board members
- Convex establishes European subsidiary
- Operational technology vulnerabilities increased by 46% Skybox Security research reveals
- Insurance Europe responds to consultation by the EC on its proposal for a European digital identity expired
- Duck Creek Distribution Management solution chosen by FCCI Insurance Group expired
- r10 launches Partner Ecosystem expired
- MS Amlin AG appoints Robert Wiest as CEO expired
- Beazley announces new Global Head of Cyber Services expired
- Skuld announces changes within London management expired
28th July 2021
Insurers welcome ARC vote to endorse IFRS 17 with carve out for annual cohorts
The European Commission recently published its legislative text for the endorsement of International Financial Reporting Standard(IFRS) 17, along with the results of the recent Accounting Regulatory Committee(ARC) meeting which voted to support the Commission’s proposals concerning annual cohorts.
Olav Jones, deputy director general of Insurance Europe, comments “Insurance Europe supports the endorsement of IFRS 17—including the amendments concerning annual cohorts developed by the European Commission—and therefore welcomes the ARC’s decision to endorse the text. This decision will also help to avoid any delays, so that IFRS 17 can be applied in the European Union from 1st January 2023, in line with the timetable of the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB).
“The issue of annual cohorts has been a fundamental concern for insurers because the IASB’s requirements would have added costs and not adequately reflected the true economic nature of certain insurance products. The amendment proposed by the Commission grants European insurers the option to exempt intergenerationally-mutualised and cash flow matched contracts from the annual cohort requirement of IFRS 17.”
The Commission will review the exemption from the annual cohort requirement for intergenerationally-mutualised and cash flow matched contracts by 31st December 2027, taking into account the outcome of the IASB’s post-implementation review of IFRS 17.
Insurance Europe Trends(303 articles)
IAB Trends(39 articles)