- Swiss Re Institute's annual SONAR report features 15 emerging risk themes and 5 emerging trend spotlights the re/insurance industry needs to have on its radar
- PRA publish "A framework for assessing financial impacts of physical climate change: A practitioner’s aide for the general insurance sector"
- PRA issues "Solvency II: Maintenance of the transitional measure on technical provisions - CP11/19"
- Insurance Europe publishes 2018-2019 Annual Report
- £30m unsettled insurance claim could save British Steel from going into administration says Mactavish
- Accelerated delivery of leading-edge technology capabilities key theme at Guidewire Europe Conference
- AnaCap takes a majority stake in SundhedsGruppen expired
- Madison Dearborn Partners(MDP) and HPS Investment Partners(HPS) have agreed to acquire shares in The Ardonagh Group for a total consideration of £92m expired
- Ariel Re appoints O'Flynn head of professional lines and casualty treaty underwriting–Bermuda expired
- Beazley appoints Spessard to head the team responsible for handling claims arising from the company's fast growing environmental liability business expired
- CNA Hardy announces significant enhancements to its Cyber proposition with a new pre-breach service and vital additional coverages expired
- Greenlight Re Innovations makes a strategic investment in FairClaims, an online insurance and consumer dispute resolution startup expired
11th November 2018
GFIA elects Arias as President and announces new executive committee appointments
The Global Federation of Insurance Associations(GFIA) has announced the election of Recaredo Arias as its new president, as well as new appointments to its executive committee on Thursday.
Arias, who is director general of the Mexican Association of Insurance Companies(AMIS), takes over from Dirk Kempthorne, who stepped down in August 2018 after leaving his role as president and ceo of the American Council of Life Insurers.
Don Forgeron, president and ceo of the Insurance Bureau of Canada, will take over Arias’s previous role as vice-president. Rob Whelan, executive director and ceo of the Insurance Council of Australia, has stepped down as membership executive. This role has been taken over by Tim Grafton, ceo of the Insurance Council of New Zealand.
The mandates of two other GFIA ExCo members were renewed. These were Toyonari Sasaki, vice chairman of the Life Insurance Association of Japan, as treasurer and Bachir Baddou, general manager of the Moroccan Insurance Association, as regional representative.
All the mandates are for two years. Michaela Koller, director general of Insurance Europe, remains secretary general, as her mandate was not up for reappointment.
Arias comments “I am honoured to take over the role of president and serve the institution of insurance, at such a crucial time for the global insurance industry. I wish to give my heartfelt thanks to Dirk for his brilliant contribution as an advocate for our industry. I look forward to playing a pivotal role in ensuring that the voice of insurers continues to be heard at the highest levels of international debate.”
GFIA Trends(24 articles)