- Newslink Global Insurance Trends-The Week
- EIOPA announces results of 2018 Stress Test-on aggregate, the sector is adequately capitalised to absorb the prescribed shocks
- EIOPA publishes report on the Evaluation of the Structure of Insurance Intermediaries Markets in Europe in accordance with Article 41(5) of the Insurance Distribution Directive(IDD)
- Fire and explosion incidents cause the largest claims for insurers and the businesses they cover, according to new research from Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty(AGCS)
- CII expands communications team with two new appointments
- LIIBA welcomes proposed Bilateral Agreement between the US and the UK on Prudential Measures Regarding Insurance and Reinsurance (US-UK Covered Agreement)
- LIIBA CEO says“The number of risks bound by brokers through PPL has risen by 350% in the last 12 months” expired
- London Market Group(LMG) announces that all managing agents involved in live delegated authority business have signed up for its Delegated Authority: Submission, Access and Transformation Solution(DA SATS) expired
- London Market Group (LMG) announces launch of the Future Workforce Think Tank expired
- Slice Labs announces availability of Insurance Cloud Services(ICS) in the UK and EU-Legal & General first customer expired
- MAPFRE reorganizes its management in Brazil and MAPFRE Asistencia, and reinforces its digitisation push expired
- QBE completes Group’s portfolio simplification expired
11th November 2018
GFIA elects Arias as President and announces new executive committee appointments
The Global Federation of Insurance Associations(GFIA) has announced the election of Recaredo Arias as its new president, as well as new appointments to its executive committee on Thursday.
Arias, who is director general of the Mexican Association of Insurance Companies(AMIS), takes over from Dirk Kempthorne, who stepped down in August 2018 after leaving his role as president and ceo of the American Council of Life Insurers.
Don Forgeron, president and ceo of the Insurance Bureau of Canada, will take over Arias’s previous role as vice-president. Rob Whelan, executive director and ceo of the Insurance Council of Australia, has stepped down as membership executive. This role has been taken over by Tim Grafton, ceo of the Insurance Council of New Zealand.
The mandates of two other GFIA ExCo members were renewed. These were Toyonari Sasaki, vice chairman of the Life Insurance Association of Japan, as treasurer and Bachir Baddou, general manager of the Moroccan Insurance Association, as regional representative.
All the mandates are for two years. Michaela Koller, director general of Insurance Europe, remains secretary general, as her mandate was not up for reappointment.
Arias comments “I am honoured to take over the role of president and serve the institution of insurance, at such a crucial time for the global insurance industry. I wish to give my heartfelt thanks to Dirk for his brilliant contribution as an advocate for our industry. I look forward to playing a pivotal role in ensuring that the voice of insurers continues to be heard at the highest levels of international debate.”
GFIA Trends(24 articles)