- Newslink Global Insurance Trends-The Week
- Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty(AGCS) reviews drop in large shipping losses and changing scenario
- New research from Startupbootcamp and PwC explores how InsurTech has evolved over the last three years
- ACORD announces the winners of the European semi-finals of its InsurTech Innovation Challenge(AIIC)
- CMA publishes provisional decision on market investigation into advice given to pensions trustees by investment consultants
- FCA publishes Annual Report and Accounts
- Clark elected CII President expired
- Oasis Loss Modelling Framework announces all components of its catastrophe modelling software are now open source and downloadable from GitHub free of charge expired
- Co-operators partners with Slice Labs to launch new digital brand expired
- Allianz completes acquisition of 99.03% of shares in Nigerian insurer Ensure expired
- Beazley first half indicates good growth but profit dips through lower investment return and reserve strengthening expired
- Markel granted a license to establish an insurer in Germany expired
10th January 2018
Allianz invests $59.2m and enters strategic partnership with leading telehealth platform American Well
Allianz has agreed to a $59.2m investment and strategic partnership with leading telehealth platform American Well to develop digital solutions that will widen access, lower cost and improve quality of healthcare for millions of patients worldwide. Allianz X, the digital investment unit of Allianz, led the investment and will join American Well’s Board of Directors.
Allianz and American Well will develop digital health solutions that build on American Well’s platform and leverage Allianz’s international expertise by combining wearable sensors, remote monitoring, and virtual visits. Working with local healthcare stakeholders, the partnership will deliver healthcare to both developed and emerging markets, addressing local regulations, clinical preferences and financing choices. This global telehealth system will allow providers to treat patients more successfully in the transforming world of connected care.
Boston-headquartered American Well has developed a telehealth platform that connects patients live with doctors, specialists and other healthcare providers over secure video. It handles clinical, administration, and security requirements consistent with US healthcare regulations and best practices. American Well serves millions of patients, working with national health plans, hospitals, employers and pharmacies in the US.
Allianz X, the digital investment unit of the Allianz Group, led the investment and was supported by the Health Innovation Center of Allianz Partners, the B2B2C unit of the Allianz Group dedicated to developing protection and care solutions. Allianz has local knowledge of healthcare financing, regulation and delivery, and a qualified network of more than 800,000 medical providers across the world. The joint effort of Allianz X and Allianz Partners enables Allianz to deliver the greatest value from Allianz to American Well and strengthens the Group’s ability to provide best-in-class healthcare in a mobile, digital world.
“Our customers’ needs are at the heart of everything we do,” said Christof Mascher, member of the Board of Management of Allianz SE and coo. “We serve people across the globe anytime, anywhere, 24/7. The innovative technology offered by American Well complements our variety of trusted services and supports our customers in the digital world.”
“Allianz X’s investment with American Well will result in better access, lower cost and more connected care for our customers through a leading-edge health platform. This collaboration emphasizes Allianz’s commitment to digitalisation, our goal of investing in digital frontrunners and encourages advancements within the whole healthcare ecosystem,” said Solmaz Altin, the chief Digital officer of Allianz Group.
“Advancing global health digitally is a big mission, and one we know we cannot accomplish alone,” said Ido Schoenberg, MD, chairman and ceo at American Well. “Our scalable telehealth platform and partnership ecosystem are key to any global solution. We are encouraged by great support from across the healthcare industry thus far, and we invite companies and thought leaders across health, tech and business to join our mission to advance the quality, accessibility, and economics of global healthcare through digital connectivity.”
“I’ve been privileged to have a front row seat watching the evolution of healthcare delivery in the 21st century,” said Peter Slavin, MD, member of American Well’s Board of directors, president of Massachusetts General Hospital, and professor at Harvard Medical School. Slavin added “I’ve been challenged by how high-quality care can be scaled and transferred beyond regional academic medical centres– not just in the US, but even more importantly globally. I see telehealth as key to delivering world-class care to people around the world.”
Allianz Trends(606 articles)