- IPCC at the Bonn Climate Conference
- This year marks 50 years that The Geneva Association has existed as the insurance industry’s platform for research and dialogue
- Tokio Marine Kiln establishes standalone Cyber & Enterprise Risk division to support ambitions
- WCL and Northdoor partner to launch Alternate to support Blueprint Two adoption
- Broad financial services coalition raises concerns over EC retail investment proposals-Insurance Europe
- Masojada appointed Chair of SiriusPoint
- else Group bolsters its MGA Buy-and-Build global strategy with launch of Peloton Underwriting expired
- Unified Threat Management spend to surge to $14.8bn globally by 2028, as the threat landscape intensifies-Juniper Rresearch expired
- Moody’s RMS North Atlantic Hurricane Models Version 23 certified by Florida Commission on Hurricane Loss Projection Methodology(FCHLPM) expired
- Reale Group to partner with Fabrick expired
- Newslink Global Insurance Trends-Editor's Weekly Highlights expired
- UN, insurance and academic leaders sign agreement to draw upon insurance data and expertise to advance climate and disaster risk analytics expired
24th May 2023
RenRe to acquire AIG's Validus Re
RenaissanceRe Holdings has announced it has entered into a definitive agreement with American International Group(AIG) whereby RenaissanceRe will acquire AIG’s treaty reinsurance
business, which includes Validus Reinsurance and its consolidated subsidiaries, AlphaCat Managers and its managed funds, and all renewal rights to the Assumed Reinsurance Treaty Unit of Talbot (collectively, “Validus Re”).
AIG has committed to deliver at closing $2.1bn in unlevered shareholder’s equity to RenaissanceRe with any excess to be retained by AIG.
RenaissanceRe will pay approximately $2.985bn in total consideration, including $2.735bn of cash and $250m of RenaissanceRe common shares. The cash consideration is expected to be funded through RenaissanceRe available funds and proceeds from the issuance of common equity and debt. The shares received by AIG will be valued at the lower of the public offer price for an expected underwritten public offering by RenaissanceRe or the closing price on 22nd May.
The agreement has been approved by RenaissanceRe’s Board of Directors. The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2023 and is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals. No shareholder approval is required.
As part of the transaction, AIG will retain 95% of the development on net reserves at closing. In addition, following the closing of the transaction, AIG expects to make substantial investments in RenaissanceRe’s Capital Partners business.
Kevin O’Donnell, president and ceo of RenaissanceRe, comments: “This acquisition advances our strategy as a leading global property and casualty reinsurer, providing additional scale, and increasing our importance to customers. Furthermore, by gaining access to a large,
attractive book of reinsurance business in a favourable market environment, we expect to accelerate our three drivers of profit–underwriting, fee, and investment income. Additionally, we are enhancing our relationship with AIG and demonstrating how our consistent, highly differentiated strategy provides us with unique access to large, one-of-a-kind opportunities that create shareholder value. I have deep respect for Peter and AIG and look forward to extending our partnership.”
RenRe Trends(152 articles)
AIG Trends(708 articles)
Bermuda Trends(2,038 articles)