- World Economic Forum(WEF) Global Risks Report 2019 highlights worsening international relations hindering action across a growing array of serious challenges
- Comments on Brexit vote impasse
- Allianz Risk Barometer highlights cyber and concerns around Brexit as as top risks in UK
- Willis Re's Summary of Natural Catastrophe Events 2018 report estimates insured losses from major natural catastrophes at around $71.5bn
- BIBA highlights opportunities for business in 2019 Manifesto
- UK Comprehensive car insurance prices fell by 6% in 2018 says Confused.com/ Willis Towers Watson analysis
- Insurance Europe concerned that the European Commission’s proposal for an ePrivacy Regulation could hamper insurers’ ability to offer innovative insurance policies to consumers expired
- ArgoGlobal collaborating with broker Axieme and digital platform Jobby in Italy to respond to a need for on-demand, pay-as-you-go insurance for temporary and short-term workers expired
- LV= General Insurance successfully deploys Guidewire Core and Data solutions in the largest transformation the business has ever undertaken expired
- Marsh announces that it had placed more than 10,000 risks in 2018 through Placing Platform Limited(PPL)-over 15,000 in total expired
- ZhongAn and Grab to establish joint venture company to enter the digital insurance distribution business in Southeast Asia expired
- Greenlight Capital Re becomes largest shareholder in Chicogo-based MGU AccuRisk expired
9th January 2019
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions launches FLOW, the parametric water-level insurance
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions has expanded its Innovative Risk Solutions offering by launching FLOW, the parametric water-level insurance. The new index-based product is designed to protect companies in Europe from the financial impact of high or low river water levels, such as lost revenue due to business interruption or increased costs due to risk mitigation measures.
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions’ experts structure an index formula which references to measured water levels at defined river gauges. The customized index tracks the client’s water level exposure related to revenues and costs. Each contract is tailor-made to the individual exposure of the client.
Unlike traditional insurance covers, which often require loss investigations and adjudication, FLOW provides pay-out of fixed amounts based on a defined index, for example each day the index remains below or above the defined index threshold value.
"The very dry and warm summer of 2018 left the water levels of most rivers in Europe at record lows," explains Thomas Keist, head Marketing Innovative Risk Solutions EMEA. "Decreased production volume and increased transportation costs were the consequence. Since it is at the heart of our business to insure companies impacted by the effects of natural perils such as drought and heat, we developed FLOW to help them cope with risks like the loss of revenue due to business interruption from high or low water levels."
Other factors that determine the pay-out amounts are the increased costs of operation, additional expenses to mitigate the situation as well as expenses not covered by traditional insurance policies.
FLOW is available in the European markets of Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, the Nordics, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.
Swiss Re Trends(689 articles)