- Newslink Trends-The Global Strategic Perspective
- Geneva Association publishes new research report-"Underinsurance in Mature Economies–Reasons and remedies"
- Zurich accelerating actions to progress towards a low-carbon economy
- Conning latest annual study of the US property-casualty industry's loss reserves published
- Many UK larger businesses are struggling to digitally transform at the pace, highlights a new joint report from the CBI and Oracle
- Allianz Partners in partnership agreement to jointly offer new automotive insurance products on Wrisk’s mobile platform initially in UK
- AIR Worldwide releases expanded inland flood model for Central Europe and updates storm surge component of its coastal flood model for Great Britain expired
- Version 18.1 RMS North Atlantic Hurricane Models approved by the Florida Commission on Hurricane Loss Projection Methodology(FCHLPM) for use in residential rate filings expired
- Insurecore, the risk appetite directory for the intermediated insurance and reinsurance market, is shortlisted for Award expired
- Allianz to sell its 60% stake in Allianz Popular to Banco Santander in Spain and terminate non-life distribution agreement expired
- Ed receives regulatory approval from the Bermuda Monetary Authority(BMA) for its new operation expired
- Peachtree Casualty Insurance Company completes its first assumption of legacy liabilities since it was acquired by SOBC DARAG expired
9th January 2019
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions launches FLOW, the parametric water-level insurance
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions has expanded its Innovative Risk Solutions offering by launching FLOW, the parametric water-level insurance. The new index-based product is designed to protect companies in Europe from the financial impact of high or low river water levels, such as lost revenue due to business interruption or increased costs due to risk mitigation measures.
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions’ experts structure an index formula which references to measured water levels at defined river gauges. The customized index tracks the client’s water level exposure related to revenues and costs. Each contract is tailor-made to the individual exposure of the client.
Unlike traditional insurance covers, which often require loss investigations and adjudication, FLOW provides pay-out of fixed amounts based on a defined index, for example each day the index remains below or above the defined index threshold value.
"The very dry and warm summer of 2018 left the water levels of most rivers in Europe at record lows," explains Thomas Keist, head Marketing Innovative Risk Solutions EMEA. "Decreased production volume and increased transportation costs were the consequence. Since it is at the heart of our business to insure companies impacted by the effects of natural perils such as drought and heat, we developed FLOW to help them cope with risks like the loss of revenue due to business interruption from high or low water levels."
Other factors that determine the pay-out amounts are the increased costs of operation, additional expenses to mitigate the situation as well as expenses not covered by traditional insurance policies.
FLOW is available in the European markets of Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, the Nordics, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.
Swiss Re Trends(689 articles)